YouTube Shorts, a newer short-form video format introduced in 2020, has taken the world by storm. With its unique features and capabilities, Shorts has quickly become a popular platform for creators and users alike. But what about your brand? Is it worth considering YouTube Shorts as a part of your digital marketing strategy? In this blog post, we’ll look closely at YouTube Shorts and explore why brands should use them for digital marketing.
What are YouTube Shorts?
YouTube Shorts are vertical videos that are up to 60 seconds long, and are designed to be watched in a full-screen, immersive, and short-form experience. They are usually shot in portrait mode, and creators can add music, text, and other effects to their videos. Users who click Shorts on their main feed are taken to the YouTube Shorts shelf, a new section of the YouTube app dedicated to short-form videos. The user interface (UI) of this section follows a similar style to TikTok.
Why Are Youtube Shorts Gaining Popularity?
The rise of TikTok has contributed to the popularity of short-form videos. However, YouTube Shorts have some unique features that make them stand out in the crowded short-form video space:
- Huge existing user base: YouTube has over 2 billion monthly active users, making it the world’s second-largest search engine after Google. With such a massive audience, YouTube Shorts has the potential to reach a vast number of people.
- Powerful algorithm: YouTube’s algorithm is one of the most sophisticated in the world, and is designed to bring to the surface personalized content that keeps users engaged. This means that even new creators have the potential to get their Shorts viewed by a broader audience.
- Integration with YouTube: Shorts are part of the YouTube app, so users can easily transition from Shorts to long-form videos. This also means creators can leverage their existing YouTube audiences to drive views and increase engagement with their Shorts.
Why Should Your Brand Use Shorts For Digital Marketing?
- Reach a new audience: By creating content for YouTube Shorts, your brand can reach a new audience it may not have been able to reach through traditional advertising channels. Shorts are also designed to be discovered by users browsing the Shorts shelf, which means your brand can get content in front of users, who may not be actively searching for your company.
- Increase engagement: As the name implies, Shorts are short and engaging, which means they have the potential to capture the attention of users who won’t watch longer videos. In addition, you can use Shorts to showcase products and/or services in a way that is truly attention-grabbing.
- Drive traffic: Shorts are part of the YouTube app, meaning users can easily transition from Shorts and long-form videos to your brand’s YouTube channel. Consider using Shorts to drive traffic to your YouTube channel or website, where users can learn more about your products or services.
- Showcase creativity: Shorts allow your brand to showcase its creativity and personality in a way that may not be possible via traditional advertising channels. We recommend using Shorts to tell a story, showcase a product, or provide a behind-the-scenes look at your company in a way that’s visually compelling.
- Cost-effective: Creating content for YouTube Shorts is relatively inexpensive compared to traditional advertising channels. Your brand can create Shorts using existing videos or with the help of Get Community’s amazing production team. (Looking for more ideas for shorts? Lucky for you, Get Community has a blog for that!)
YouTube Shorts enable your brand to reach a new audience, increase engagement, drive traffic, and showcase creativity. If your brand is looking to stay ahead of the digital marketing curve, and you are interested in incorporating YouTube Shorts into your marketing strategy, contact us!