Looking to have some Halloween fun but don’t know where to start? Keep reading for the ultimate guide to celebrating this spooky holiday in Orange County. From haunted houses that will send shivers down your spine to eerie events that enchant your senses, we’ve got you covered for your next Halloween adventure!
Get ready to experience the thrills and chills as we delve into the realm of local haunted houses that promise to awaken your darkest fears. This Halloween season, Orange County boasts a variety of spine-tingling attractions that cater to all levels of bravery. Right in Old Towne Orange, you can immerse yourself in a Ghost Walk, where you can learn about the chilling history and true ghost stories from one of Orange County’s most haunted places. Ticket prices start at $26.
Staff Recommendation: Lindsay loves exploring the OC area with all the spooky decor!
Looking for something more eerie than a ghost story? Here are three haunted house experiences you won’t want to miss.
- Dark Harvest—Beginning on Sep 29th, face your fears and discover the horrors that lie within Shady Pines Asylum. This haunted clown house is sure to give you some nightmares. Hours of operation are Friday and Saturday 7 PM to 11 PM, and Sunday 7 PM to 10 PM. Tickets start at $30.
- Knott’s Scary Farm—From Sep 21 to Oct 31, visit the longest-running Halloween theme park in Southern California. With haunted mazes, spooky shows, and creatures lurking in the fog, you’re sure to get your fair share of screams. Located in Buena Park, ticket prices start at $59.99.
- Community Haunts—Discover other, local haunted houses right in your neighborhood with this helpful community haunts map.
Staff Recommendation: Daniel loves Knott’s Scary Farms and Oogie Boogie Bash.
Hoping for something more wholesome? Embracing the autumn spirit in OC goes hand in hand with a visit to charming, local pumpkin patches. From families seeking the perfect jack-o’-lantern to couples in search of a cozy date idea, these patches offer a delightful escape from the everyday hustle.
- Pick of the Patch Pumpkins in San Clemente
- Enchanted Country Pumpkins & Trees in Brea
- Irvine Regional Park Pumpkin Patch with hayrides available
- Tanaka Farms Pumpkin Patch in Irvine with hayrides available
- Pumpkin City in Laguna Hills
- The Pumpkin Corral in Santa Ana
Staff Recommendation: Jenna loves to visit Irvine Regional Park Pumpkin Patch.
Not in the mood to spend your night ghost-hunting around town? Here’s a curated list of classic, family-friendly Halloween movies that you can enjoy during your night in:
- Monster House
- Hocus Pocus
- The Addams Family
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
For those who like a little bit of a thrill, here are our top picks for classic, scary movies that’ll be sure to put you in the Halloween spirit:
- Paranormal Activity
- A Nightmare on Elm Street
- The Shining
- The Sixth Sense
Staff Recommendation: Nicole says The Nightmare Before Christmas is a classic MUST for Halloween!
Halloween Book Recs
There’s no better time than now to curl up with a collection of Halloween books that will ignite your imagination. Here’s a list of our Halloween book recs:
- The Shining by Stephen King—This classic horror novel tells the story of the Torrance family as they become winter caretakers of the haunted Overlook Hotel. It’s a chilling tale of isolation and supernatural forces.
- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson—Shirley Jackson’s eerie masterpiece explores the psychological horror of a house said to be cursed. It’s a must-read for fans of psychological suspense.
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia—Set in a creepy old mansion in rural Mexico, this novel combines gothic horror with Mexican folklore to create a truly atmospheric and haunting story.
- The Woman in Black by Susan Hill—A classic ghost story with a haunted house and a vengeful spirit, this novella is a spine-tingling read, perfect for spooky season.
- The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle—A Sherlock Holmes mystery set on the eerie moors of Devonshire, featuring a ghostly, supernatural hound. It’s a great choice for those who enjoy a mix of mystery and the supernatural.
- House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski—This unique and experimental novel tells the story of a family discovering something unsettling in their new home—a hallway that shouldn’t exist. It’s a complex and disorienting read that blurs the lines between reality and fiction.
- Dracula by Bram Stoker—This timeless Gothic masterpiece introduces readers to the iconic vampire Count Dracula, who leaves his native Transylvania to spread the undead curse in Victorian England.
Staff Recommendation: LeighErin loves Dracula for annual fall reading!
You might have your costume all planned out, but don’t forget about furry family members! Here are ten costume ideas for keeping your pets festive:
For feline friends:
- Pumpkin Purrfection
- Vampire Kitty
- Witch’s Familiar
- Superhero Cat
- Ghostly Ghoul
For canine companions:
- Fierce Dinosaur
- Classic Skeleton
- Cuddly Werewolf
- Pirate Pooch
- Magical Unicorn
As the moon rises and the pumpkins glow, Orange County comes alive with a bewitching tapestry of experiences that capture the essence of this magical season. Whether you plan on venturing into the heart-pounding depths of haunted houses or indulging in the whimsy of community festivities, we hope our Halloween Guide will inspire you to embrace all the fun and create memories for years to come!