As we approach the season of gratitude and togetherness, the team at Get Community is eager to wish everyone a joyful Thanksgiving. This special holiday brings with it not only the promise of a hearty feast but also the opportunity to create lasting memories with loved ones.
At Get Community, we cherish the spirit of Thanksgiving and all the unique traditions that come with it. So, gather around the digital table as we share some of our must-have sides, cherished traditions, and beloved Thanksgiving specials that warm our hearts.
Side Dish Gauntlet
While the majestic turkey often takes center stage on Thanksgiving, it’s time to shine a spotlight on the unsung heroes of the holiday table. Our team at Get Community knows that while turkey is great, it’s the other dishes that truly steal the show. (Writer’s Note: And we reinforce this at the annual potluck 🙂)
Let’s dig into our staff’s top picks for mouthwatering Thanksgiving delights:
- Jewel: “I can’t resist cornbread. The magic of cornbread on my Thanksgiving plate is simply irresistible.”
- Rainy: “My heart belongs to the classic green bean casserole. It’s a staple on my Thanksgiving spread, and I can’t imagine the holiday without it.”
- Sarah: “Cornbread stuffing, without a doubt, is my must-have side. The rich, comforting flavors make it the star of my Thanksgiving feast.”
- Nicole: “Mashed potatoes with pieces of the skin in it are my twist on tradition. It’s a delightful addition to my Thanksgiving table.”
- Lindsay: “Cheesy pea casserole, specifically the one my mom makes, is the epitome of comfort food for me.”
- Joey: “My favorite side is stuffing, made the real way—stuffed inside the bird.”
- LeighErin: “I love carbs, and mashed potatoes from scratch are my favorite.”
Thanksgiving is also about the traditions that make the day truly special. Here are some unique Thanksgiving traditions from our team:
- Rainy: “Thanksgiving is like an extended family reunion for me. It makes this holiday extra special, as we all come together to celebrate.”
- Sarah: “In my family, Thanksgiving is all about cooking together. It’s a heartwarming bonding experience that we cherish.”
- Nicole: “In my household, it’s all about family togetherness. We gather, chat, and chill, making Thanksgiving a time for bonding and relaxation.”
- Lindsay: “My Thanksgiving isn’t complete without laughter from watching “Christmas Vacation.” It’s a tradition that adds joy and humor to the day.”
- Kelly: “For me, Thanksgiving is a game-filled extravaganza. We play Left Right Center, adding a dose of fun and competition to the celebration.”
- Joey: “We typically go pick out a family Christmas tree on the day after Thanksgiving. We get up early, get hot cocoa, and wait in a long line to pick out our tree.”
A Favorite Thanksgiving Activity: The Parade
At Get Community, one of our absolute favorite Thanksgiving activities is watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, which brings a unique sense of joy and festivity to the day.
- Joey: Back in my college days, my friends and family enjoyed attending the Macy’s Parade in Downtown Seattle. It’s a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the holiday spirit and create lasting memories.
- Nicole, Lindsay, Kelly, and LeighErin: The Macy’s Thanksigivng Day Parade is where it’s at! The vibrant floats, giant balloons, and festive atmosphere make it a must-watch tradition.
- In addition to the parade, Sarah recommends gathering with “Friends” to enjoy a few Thanksgiving specials:
- Sarah: “If you’re in the mood for some classic Thanksgiving-themed TV, I highly recommend watching all the “Friends” Thanksgiving episodes.
Thanksgiving is all about expressing our gratitude, and below our staff share what they are most thankful for this holiday season:
- “I’m so thankful for my loved ones and for life!” — Jewel
- “I’m thankful for my husband and our dreams. We’ve come a long way this year. ❤️ Very proud of my brothers for their new adventures and accomplishments. And I’m grateful that my parents and I have become closer over this past year.” — Rainy
- “I’m thankful for my family, especially my daughter” — Sarah
- “I’m thankful for my family, my wonderful friends, and my awesome coworkers” — Nicole
- “I’m thankful for my healthy family and amazing friends!”— Lindsay
- “I’m grateful for my circle of friends and family” — Kelly
- “I am very grateful for my health and my loving family, who care for me when I’m unwell. I am grateful for my team of colleagues, who are very diligent in their creative work; and for my bosses, who are compassionate and push me to seek out the right solutions, ask questions, and extend forgiveness.” — Joey
- “I am incredibly grateful for my friends and family, here in Orange and back home in NY.” — LeighErin
Giving Back: Spreading Love and Kindness
In the heart of Old Towne Orange, where Get Community is rooted, we cherish the spirit of giving, especially during this season of gratitude. The local community holds a special place in our hearts, and we believe in making a positive impact right here in our own backyard. As we celebrate Thanksgiving, we want to share some wonderful places, where you can make a difference by donating food and clothing.
- The Orange Senior Center: This beloved institution, not only caters to the elderly, but also organizes food drives and clothing donations to support those in need.
- The Orange Home Grown Farmers and Artisans Market: A vibrant part of our community, they often host food drives, making it convenient for locals to contribute fresh produce.
- The Friendly Center: We proudly support this nonprofit organization that serves low-income individuals and families in Orange County.
Other Ways Our Team Gives Back:
- “I usually give canned goods to local charities.” — Rainy
- “We give back to our local mosque and charity that I volunteer for.” — Sarah
- “I give back my time and money to Calvary Chapel East Anaheim and the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America.” — Joey
- “I give back locally through the Community Foundation of Orange where we provide aid to veterans, seniors, and kids right here in my own backyard.” — Kelly